Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sacrifice

I love my job.  Really, really love my job.  I don't even think of it as a "job", but more as a lifestyle.  I get up every day and go do my thing.  And it makes me happy.

But still, for all that, working is necessary.  We can't afford for me not to earn a paycheck.  It's not even something to consider.

I hear and read about a lot of other women who claim that they sacrifice so much so that they can stay home with their kids. 

I think it's women like ME who are sacrificing.  I'm not willing to not have a family just because I must earn a living,  so I reluctantly send my little girls to daycare. 

Daycare sucks. 

Daycare gets the best of my girls.  While I'm away teaching other people's kids, I don't get to nurture, teach, or care for my own.   That's a sacrifice.  I'm putting all my hopes into the idea that I can make up for that in the evenings and on weekends, but it's the biggest gamble.  You don't get do-overs if you screw up the first 5 years. 

I think being a mom is THE most important thing a person can be.  Moms who stay home by choice, whose lifestyles can make that happen,  are so lucky.   So they give up nicer cell-phones or highlights or whatever.  So what.

I give up something I can't even put into words, and it breaks my heart.







No comments:

Post a Comment