Sunday, August 24, 2008

A thing for Elmo

Jaden has not seen Sesame Street yet, but boy...does she have a thing for Elmo! She has several Sesame books, and Elmo is her favorite character. Personally, I would have thought a one-year-old wouldn't be likely to fall in love with a googly-eyed, red haired monster. But what do I know?

Yesterday we were browsing the book section of our local consignment shop. I saw Elmo standing on that shelf, but it didn't really click with me that he might catch Jaden's eye too. Just as we were rounding the corner to leave, she saw him. Her face lit up, as if she couldn't actually believe her eyes. Could it really be? She whispered "Elmo?" Then cried, Elmo, Elmo, Elmo!!"

I pulled him down from the shelf and handed him to Jaden. Somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking, "I'll just let her carry him around awhile, and then we'll say good-bye and leave." It's a strategy that works about 80% of the time. This time I completely underestimated my child's affections. When I handed him to Jaden, she gathered him in her arms as if she were hugging a long lost friend. She cradled his furry face in both her hands. She kissed him over and over. She sat him in the cart next to her, and put her arm around the shoulders of her buddy. I saw the sweetest, most tender expression full of true love on her face. I signed with resignation. It didn't really matter what his foot tag said.

Elmo lives at our house now. Someday, Jaden will learn you can't really put a price on love and friendship, and that the most important things in life have a value that's immeasurable. Yesterday, however, love's price tag was only 4.99+ tax. That's not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment