Sunday, January 24, 2010

In Just One Second

Just one second.  That's all it takes for someone's life to be turned upside down.

In one second a newborn baby will take her first breath, or not.  In one second a woman can glance up and catch a future lover's eye, or not. In one second a spark can ignite, or not. In one second a race can be won, a final point can be scored, a telephone can be answered, or a contract can be signed.  Or not.

And in just one second a young woman's uncontrollably spinning car can be stopped, or not.

What perfect alignment of planets caused those two drivers to come together at the exact same second?  What exact curvature of the spacetime continuum slowed the speed of her car just enough for the barrier to hold?

And oh, what would this world be like today if it hadn't?  What kind of giant hole would have been ripped through the center of my universe? Whenever I consider the possibility...well, I can't even breathe.  My heart stops.

I'm so thankful I don't have to know.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thankful too. My heart did a few somersaults when Bruce told me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she is ok...I can imagine how scary that was for you.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete