Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Good Morning

If you know a teacher, or if you ARE a teacher, you know that "duty" is a fact of life.  This is when we put our college educations to optimal use by monitoring areas around school.  I have been a parking lot attendant, a stairway bouncer, a bicycle gate unlocker.  Many teachers resent duty.  I'm not one of them, however.

I actually really, really love my duty.  I have the best duty at my school.  Seriously.  My job is to stand by the cars dropping off kids in the morning, and make sure they get out without getting smooshed. 

What I like about this is that basically, I get to be the ambassador of my school.  If they need directions or have questions, I have answers!  I'm the first person anyone sees as they begin their morning.  I get to be the first person to wish parents a "Good Morning", the first to greet students with a friendly smile.  I have an opportunity to infuse every parent and child who passes me with a little bit of morning cheer. I have the opportunity to make people feel welcome, and as if they belong.

At my duty spot moms, and a few dads, tend to congregate as they send their children off to the playground.  My favorite thing about the Hispanic culture is the way they care for and protect their children.  It's customary for many families to not only walk or drive students to school, but to hand them off to the teacher.  Therefore, we have many parents who like to wait around until the classes go in.  I love this because I get to interact with them.  I can admire the babies in strollers and chat with parents of my former students.

I love my duty so much that I've requested it for three years straight now.  I think it could only be topped by being a Disneyland character greeter.  Same benefits, but much better costume!

3 comments:

  1. Or you could be a Walmart greeter! SUMMER JOB!
    Thanks for loving your duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could teach a few of the morning duty people at Emily's school a thing or two.

    A smile would be so much nicer and I know the kids and parents would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids are lucky to have you there to greet them each morning!

    :)Mary

    ReplyDelete