Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Roomful of Parents

It's that time again.  Parent-teacher conferences. 

Here they come walking through my doorway, a couple dozen moms and dads...nervous about this new type of conference in which we all meet together as a team.   Such hopeful expressions, such vulnerability.    It's time to face the teacher, and I can tell that although they don't quite know what to expect,  they want so much to do the right thing for their kids.  It's hard to be a parent during conference week.

I put them at ease.  I tell them how wonderful their children are, and how lucky I feel to have them this year.  I smile a lot, and my smiles are genuine.

I love talking to families about their kids, especially when we come together during conferences.   Because at this moment, in this place, every child  I teach is the most important person to their parents.  The most special...loved beyond reason or explanation.  No matter what non-sugar coated information I might need to relate about these kids, I never ever forget that each one of them is some mother's little Catie.

As I walk around and talk, I  feel the weight of my responsibility to these families.  They look to me for answers.  They trust me.  They are putting an entire year of their child's education in my hands and whenever I really stop to think about that...well, it's huge and sometimes it leaves me breathless.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.   I have the best job in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment