Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Knew This Day Would Come

It's finally happened.  Craig and I realized it today when we overheard the girls talking to each other.  I'm not sure when it began, but Jaden's been calling her sister "Caitlyn."  A lot.  I also realized that, more often than not,  Catie calls herself "Cait-yin."  

Really, if you know me at all you won't be surprised to read that this makes me sad.  It kind of breaks my heart.  Jaden, and then the rest of us, have been calling her Honey for so longEver since she was a baby she's been our Honey.

I didn't realize until now how much this has really stuck with me...how much it's been a part of my interactions with my kids.  And I didn't realize how it would feel to let that go.  It's so hard to let go of all those little things that keep them babies, even when you know you must.

In one of their favorite books, Bear Snores On, the animal friends talk about making "honey-cakes" and "honey-nuts" for their little woodsy picnics.  Caitlyn still  eagerly anticipates these parts of the story, interjecting an incredulous "ME??" each time there is ever mention of "honey" anything.

She still listens to the Mama Mia soundtrack over and over just to sing along to her song "Honey, Honey," although that's also being phased out by her new favorite Disney princess songs.

And just last night I accidentally said, "Jaden, honey, what's wrong?" You should have seen Catie glare at me as Jaden exclaimed, "I'm NOT Honey, I'm Jaden." 

So I don't think that Caitlyn has completely given up her baby nickname yet.   But it's closer than I realized.  Soon this era will end.  Soon I'll have to let this go.

Still... even if I don't ever say it out loud, I'll be thinking it.  She will always be my Honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment