Saturday, November 5, 2011

Memorials

I've been out driving a lot today, and for some reason I happened to pass a lot of crosses on the road.  You know the kind, with the flowers and sometimes balloons or candles...memorials for people who were in fatal car accidents. 

I have mixed feelings about these memorials.  I don't like to look at them.  They make me feel sad, and a little creeped out.  If my child or sister or parent died in an accident, I would want to honor and remember them in some other way.  And yet...I also like the memorials.  Because when I see one, I know that it means someone whose heart is aching for a loved one felt just a tiny bit better placing flowers there.  For that person, it gave them comfort. 

Today I am thankful that I don't need the comfort of a memorial. 

1 comment:

  1. II feel the same way about the crosses on the road. They always make me a little sad, but I also feel they serve as a good reminder to practice safe driving, especially for teens!

    ReplyDelete