Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Going With the Flow

This past weekend we had a huge family party in the park for Caitlyn and her cousin Nathan. You know, I'm pretty laid back about those kind of things. I don't typically get upset when things don't go just so. Heck, I'm the one who called time-out during my wedding ceremony to go retrieve the ring from my little wayward ring bearer. I have that immortalized in photos and video, and if that isn't the epitome of "laid back", I don't know what is.

Still...I had an idea in my mind of how nicely this day was going to go, and my little girls just didn't cooperate with me. They were a little crabby at times. Jaden didn't want to leave the bounce house long enough to take a picture with me, and Caitlyn wouldn't leave her little "I'm One" hat on so I could get a picture of that either. I even dressed them in coordinating outfits so we could get some pretty spring shots in the grass too. But they just wanted to play instead of sitting still for that. Imagine. Plus, it was windy. Warm, but REALLY windy. So we flew kites, and all the table decorations I planned to set up were left in the box.

I told my sister Jacque that I was going to take Caitlyn home, wash her dress, and set her up at the kitchen table with balloons and her "I'm One" hat. I said I wanted memories from the day. This is the last first birthday and I had nothing to show for it. She reminded me that of course I had memories of this day. We were having FUN. The kids had a great time. And if Caitlyn's cupcake melted and she pulled off her hat and threw it into the bubble solution, well...so what? Those are my real memories.

So, I don't have much to show in the way of pictures. I guess they're in my head, and you know what? My sister is right...they're perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment