Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ties That Bind

I know people think I'm either crazy (or just unlucky with birth control) because I have two babies a year apart. But I LOVE the fact that my littlest girls are growing up so close in age. I've always said there's something about the relationship between sisters that is unlike anything else.

I grew up with 3 of them, you know. There was always someone to laugh with, to fight with, to boss around, to scheme with. There was always someone to listen to my deepest secrets. She probably told all my OTHER sisters, but I knew I could trust them too.

You can count on a sister. She will stand behind you or in front of you, whichever needed. She will lie, cheat or steal for you. She'll fight your battles. No matter how old you are, your sister will hold your hand and help you across the road. And she won't ever let go of your hand because sisterhood is a tie that binds.

I think one of the things that made my sisters and I closer growing up is that, because there were so many of us, sharing bedrooms was kind of a necessity. We usually slept in the same bed too. Yes, we fought like spitting cats. YES, they sometimes drove me bug-shit. They were in my stuff all the time. All. The. Time! It sometimes got ugly and usually got messy. But, you know... life can often be ugly and messy. We learned to rise above it and cooperate and compromise, and just plain get along.

I'm a big believer in sisters sharing a bedroom. Even when they're older, even when there are more rooms in the house. There's just something about living that closely with another person that makes you feel connected. For better or worse. You don't see much of that anymore, though. Even babies and toddlers seem to have their own rooms nowadays. I find that very sad, to have such a lonely existence.

So Jaden and Caitlyn share a room. It's a tight squeeze, true. And we have to live with the fact that they usually wake each other up. I have been woken up many mornings by baby giggles and screams...Caitlyn bouncing up and down in the crib, and Jaden tossing her random toys and other objects. One morning I heard Caitlyn crying very early, and when I got to their room, I found Jaden halfway over the side of the crib, rubbing the top of Catie's head and telling her, "You okay, Honey. You okay." That really stuck with me. It makes me imagine how they will be together growing up. I imagine them years from now, Caitlyn crying over boy troubles while Jaden hugs her and tells her it will be okay, Honey.

Putting them to bed together can be tricky, so we will often lay Caitlyn down in the Pack and Play in our bedroom, and move her to the crib after both girls are asleep. I have heard them talking through the shared wall before drifting off, though. Last night I found them in mirror positions, Catie in our room and Jaden in her bed. They were each sleeping facing the wall, with an arm resting against it in the exact same spot. If there was no wall, they'd have been holding hands.

Was it a coincidence? Or was it more? My heart would like to believe that it's sister love. I think Catie was fussing, and Jaden was whispering through the wall..."It's okay, Honey. You okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment