Wednesday, May 27, 2009

You've Got to Be Joking

Tell me a joke. Right now, off the top of your head. Anything coming to mind?

Kharli had a job interview today, at which she was asked to tell a joke. When she told me this, I thought...what a great idea! You can learn so much about someone's personality by the joke they'd choose to tell, and how they tell it.

What kind of sense of humor do they have? Do they have a sense of audience when speaking? Do they have an innate sense of timing? Can they engage somebody else with their smile or laughter? Are they quick on their feet? Witty? Are they thoughtful enough to retell it in sequence, yet easy-going enough to shrug it off with a chuckle if they blow the whole thing?

I began to wonder which joke I'd tell in this situation. This was the first thing to pop into my mind:
How do you make a tissue dance?
Put a little boogie in it!

Um...yeah. Would that have been my shining moment in which I'd dazzle my (not) future employer with my wit and charisma? Guess not. My 3rd graders crack the hell up. But I don't suppose it comes across the same way with real live adult people.

So I decided that I need a really good joke in my repertoire. Something that is very ME. I don't want to be like Uncle Bob who throws back a few too many at family gatherings and then proceeds to tell the same old tired joke, laughing stupidly the whole time. I don't want anything vulgar or degrading, or anything that begins with, "So this duck, girl scout and bank teller all walk into a bar..."

I just want a signature joke that I can bring out once in awhile...something that will make people smile and think I'm completely charming, if they don't already. I'm going to go try some on and see if they fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment