Monday, October 12, 2009

I'll Be Your Mirror

"When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you.

I'll be your mirror........"
The Velvet Underground

I wanted to share a video from this blog I've been following for awhile...The P.S. 22 Chorus.

I would love to meet this teacher, Mr. B. He's the music/chorus teacher of a New York urban school. He takes kids who have nothing, and fills them with light. Look at their faces when they sing. Just LOOK at them.



In a time and place when our nation is divided into the "haves" and the "have nots", and people are reluctant to reach across that socio-economic barrier to share a sliver of their pie, and people respond to the troubles of their fellow humans with a shoulder shrug...there are still those like Mr. B. working to make a difference.

Mr. B. understands that kids will mirror their world, and he wants them to reflect joy and hope and self-confidence. He wants them to feel they have value, even if their pockets are empty. He gives them a reason to smile, a reason to lift their faces with pride, a reason to...be.

Mr. B. inspires me. "I'll be your mirror, reflect what you are..." It's so true. We get back what we put in.

1 comment: