Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Secret Club

Today I was driving down the road on the way to the pediatrician's office. I pulled up to an intersection behind a very fancy-shmancy motorcycle. It was definitely a top of the line deal, and the two people riding it were decked out in some pricey looking leather.

As we began to drive through the intersection, another motorcycle came toward us from the opposite direction. This driver was older, a little careworn, and driving an impressive looking Harley...rumbling and very low to the ground.

The two drivers and their bikes could not have been more different. Yet when they passed each other on the road, almost simultaneously, they each lifted a hand to wave. I thought to myself, how interesting that they both knew to do that. I guess when you ride bikes, no matter your lifestyle, you are in a secret club. A bike-riding society that only other bike owners can understand or join.

Later in the doctor's office I sat holding Caitlyn who was looking around with teary eyes. The mom next to me smiled at her and raised an eyebrow at me. "Shots," I told her. She gave us a sympathetic look and hitched her own baby higher on her hip.

I realized then...I have a secret club too. One of the best secret clubs. Membership is lifelong. The rewards are priceless, and once you're in... you are really IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment