Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Taupe-y Ones

I was out shopping today. It's true that I'm not your typical shop-a-holic kind of woman, but I DO venture out to buy some undies or jeans once in awhile. I'm not a complete stranger to this experience.

So I was a little surprised when I looked up from the clothing racks and noticed all the other women shopping...with their husbands. Husbands actually do this?? Walk around with their wives and help them make their fashion decisions?

I passed by a woman trying on cardigans, asking her husband what he thought. Was the color flattering? What about the cut...not too tight across the front? Could he recall what size she chose last time? (He could.)

I came across another couple searching for a blouse. I overheard their conversation;
Woman: Well, I'm looking for a slightly fitted blouse in a neutral color.
Man: Hmmm. You mean something in the earth tones?
Woman: Maybe. I need a coordinating piece to go with those slacks we bought yesterday.
Man: Oh, that's right...the taupe-y ones.

The taupe-y ones? Are you kidding me?

Not that I'm envious of these women and their lap-dog shopper husbands. Maybe they think they've got a good thing going here. But, really. What kind of self-respecting man tags along in the women's clothing area and advises his wife on which pants make her butt look nice?

MY husband wouldn't be caught dead sitting in those man chairs outside the ladies fitting rooms. He prefers to stay home with the girls while I have an hour to myself, and remain blissfully ignorant of the intricacies of choosing female clothing. I don't think he even knows what color taupe IS.

And that's the way I like it.

1 comment:

  1. lol My hubby actually is really good at fashion and HONEST. He'll tell me if I look good in something or not.

    I HATE shopping alone. We leave Gabe with my mom while we shop ;)

    ReplyDelete