Monday, November 23, 2009

Flash Mobs

Have you heard of the Flash mob phenomenon? No, that's not an exotic dance routine I'm working on! And it's not a Facebook Mafia Wars thing either.

Flash mobs are those performance-art gatherings of seemingly random strangers in public places. They've been dubbed "mobs" because they come out of nowhere, assault you with their awesomeness for 3 minutes or so, and then take off.

I LOVE them! I don't know if it's the theater geek in me, or maybe that part of my personality that likes to see people smile. I have always been a sucker for any kind of performance art, so this stuff is SO right up my alley!

I love the mysteriousness of it all. I love how the whole performance can be happening all around you and you don't know who's in on it and who's not. You could be watching for 2 minutes and all of a sudden the person you thought was just another observer sitting next to you jumps right in and starts singing and dancing.  I didn't actually know about this craze until last year when I saw this Weeds season 5 premiere, which features a flash mob dance scene.

Okay, so maybe having two back-to-back babies has kept me a little too busy to notice pop culture. Whatever...once I opened my eyes I saw them in the news, on TV, and posted all over the internet. Here are some videos of a few ideas I really liked. The Sound of Music one is my favorite, although a subway station full of pantless people is nothing to shake a stick at.












I think my life is missing some theater geeky adventure. So I've decided to go find a group of like-minded wackos in my city to hook up with. Want to come along? We'll meet at the previously arranged secret rendezvous spot and receive our mission to help cure boredom of the masses!

4 comments:

  1. I want to be part of a flash mob so badly. Mike and I have been obsessed with watching them online for a couple of years now.

    There are some pretty funny Michael Jackson ones out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in! No one would expect a crippled kid to break out in a dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this before but I love it! I'll join you....
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. we should do it!!!

    Fae

    ReplyDelete