Friday, November 5, 2010

17...Picture the Bigger Picture

Something which has made a huge impact on my life lately is Arizona's education budget cuts.  Not just in my teaching life.  My position is pretty secure.  I don't care about ME.  I care about my children, and the millions of children whose educations are affected. 


I'm not even listing reasons why anymore because I've found that nobody really wants to hear about it.  Nobody wants to know about it.  Most people just don't want to know how things really are.

It's easier for them to pretend rather than to admit participation in what we're doing to ourselves here.  People are happier to continue driving their SUVs and buying their silly junk and overpriced clothing before they will spend it on the education of children here.

A lot of people are really stupid about where the money comes from and where it goes, and why it's crucial to not cut it.  I give up on trying to talk about it.

But I swear, the day is coming when this will all come back and bite us in the ass.  When our state is flooded with undereducated 20-something year olds...where will we all be then?

No comments:

Post a Comment