Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tears

We took Caitlyn to get her ears pierced today. I sat calmly holding her, while the piercer asked me if I was "okay." Like I might cry or something. I'm not sure why people expect women to break down in tears over the least little thing. She seemed surprised when I told her that it's more painful to pluck a single eyebrow hair and to just go ahead and do it.

I have a no nonsense, "just get it over with" approach to dealing with things that are painful. But just because I don't fall to pieces, doesn't mean I'm broken inside or something. I'd venture a guess that I'm more emotional than a LOT of women. If you know me, you'd know that to be true. Although I am more likely to cry over hurt feelings or broken dreams or the injustices of the world.

I think strong women know which situations require calm and focused mental clarity, and which are worthy of tears. I cry just about every day, and if you happen to be in my company you can be sure my tears are genuine and not being wasted on something trivial.

No comments:

Post a Comment