Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Toddler Devotion

I know that Jaden loves me with all her heart, but sometimes I feel a tinge of jealousy when she prefers Craig to me. Not that he doesn't deserve his dose of Jaden devotion, because he does. He's a wonderful Daddy. But, aren't babies and toddlers supposed to lean ever so slightly toward their Mommies? I thought it was the natural order of the universe that Mommy is the marginal favorite and Daddy remains blissfully unaware.

After dinner I started to unclip Jaden from her booster. She said, "Daddy, Daddy." I tried again to unclip her and she took my hand, gently pushed it away, and said very calmly, "No. Daddy." How do you like that?

Craig might not pick up after himself as much as a wife would like, but when it comes to the kids, he does his share...I'll give him that. So if he does everything I do, why shouldn't she prefer his company sometimes? Why shouldn't she feel like running to him first or hugging him longer, or even pitching a fit when he leaves her in my care? It's just that, admittedly, my innermost self does want to be loved best.

It is a slippery slope to share a toddler's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment