Monday, April 20, 2009

Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Sometimes I think we are just too quick to judge other people as being asses. I really do try very hard to give my fellow man/woman the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes I cross paths with someone who is not the nicest to me. We all do.

Usually I tell myself... they are probably just having a bad day. Maybe they got in a fight with their wife or mother. Maybe they were late to work and yelled at by their boss. Maybe they got flashed on the highway. Maybe they overdrew their bank account the day before payday. Maybe they have strep throat but can't pay their urgent care bill if they call in sick to work, and that's why they are handing me my change without smiling and saying "Have a nice day!" I could think of a hundred reasons why someone might not smile at me, but you get the point.

Last weekend I was having dinner out at a Chinese restaurant with my family. The girls, who are usually great at the table, were a little crabby this evening. At one point, Jaden let loose a rather high-pitched shriek. The elderly couple sitting near us turned to look at her, and the man winced and shook his head, looking really put out.

I'm not used to people making faces at my girls. I thought to myself, what a grumpy old fart! Sitting over there, acting like an ass because a little 2 year old screamed. Get over it, I thought, and rolled my eyes.

A little later after we paid the check and were passing by his table to leave, the man smiled at Jaden. We apologized for her behavior, and were ready to walk out when he spoke up. He told us he had many grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and was used to being around kids. Then he gestured to his hearing aid, which I hadn't noticed before, and explained that sometimes loud noises would cause horrible ringing and feedback in his ear.

My fortune cookie this evening said something about being lucky on the romance front. But what it should have said, was "Don't be so quick to assume people are jerks unless you want to be one yourself."

Words to live by. I'm telling you, and now I'm reminding ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment